The Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) was developed as a fair and valid evaluation tool to assist in the selection of fire fighters, and to ensure that all fire fighter candidates possess the physical ability to complete critical tasks effectively and safely. During the entire test the candidate must wear a 50 lb. weighted vest (simulating the weight of a fire fighters protective clothing and equipment).
The eight events, which must be completed within the “cut off” time of 10 minutes and 20 seconds. are:
PLEASE READ THESE REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY...
There are a total of 3 test dates offered to all test candidates
- Stair Climb (climbing stairs while carrying an additional 25 lb. simulated hose pack),
- Ladder Raise and Extension (placing a ground ladder and extending the ladder to the roof or a window),
- Hose Drag (stretching uncharged hoselines, advancing lines),
- Equipment Carry (removing and carrying equipment from fire apparatus to fireground),
- Forcible Entry (penetrating a locked door, breaching a wall) and
- Search (crawling through dark unpredictable areas to search for victims).
- Rescue Drag (removing victim or partner from a fire building),
- Ceiling Pull (locating fire and checking for fire extension).
If you do not pass the final Third test you may register again for the CPAT which will require beginning the process with the first $150 registration.
THIS IS NOT AN ONLINE TEST.
NO SHORTS OR OPEN SHOES ARE PERMITTED FOR THIS TEST.
- Our online registration will have you sign up for your First Test and you will pay the $150.00 test fee at the time of your registration. If you pass your physical test during your First Test, you will be given your certificate prior to leaving our facility that day, and you do not need to schedule further testing.
- If you do not pass the CPAT during your First Test, you will need to call 702-651-4747 to schedule your Second Test. If you pass your physical test during your Second Test, you will be given your certificate and card prior to leaving our facility that day. If you do not pass the CPAT during your Second Test, you will need to call 702-651-4747 to schedule your final Third Test.
- If you pass your physical test during your Third Test, you will be given your certificate and card prior to leaving our facility that day.
- All dates for this testing cycle must be completed within 1 month (30 days) of the first Test date.
Please wear long athletic or comfortable pants and athletic shoes that protect your toes. In cooler months, a light jacket or long sleeves are suggested, as our indoor testing area can be chilly. All of our testing is conducting in the mornings, and we strongly suggest that you do not eat a heavy meal before arriving for your test. Bring water or whatever beverage(s) you wish to recover with after your test.